Monday, January 18, 2010

Diorshow Iconic vs. YSL Faux Cils

 I've been using my HG mascara, Diorshow Iconic, for over a year now (see my first review on it here). I love everything about it, and honestly have no complaints whatsoever on this mascara. However, back in November (when Sephora had their Friends & Family sale) I jumped on the opportunity to try Yves Saint Laurent's Faux Cils mascara for 20% off. I had read amazing reviews about Faux Cils, and since YSL rarely ever goes on sale, I couldn't find a reason not to try it. Read more for my comparison of the two.

Diorshow Iconic
What I Love: Dark and smooth formula, Lengthening, Defining, Comb-like Wand, No Clumping
I love Iconic because it quickly gives you dark, dramatic lashes without much effort. The plastic comb spirals make the formula go on nicely without any clumps, and it also seems to lengthen them because it reaches the tips of your lashes. The formula is lightweight, and doesn't feel heavy or sticky on. It lasts all day, and doesn't leave you with the dreaded "raccoon eyes" either. Just the perfect, perfect mascara. Your lashes look unbelievably long and dark, but still really natural.

YSL Faux Cils
What I love: Very dark and dramatic, thickens and volumizes, smells pretty, photographs wonderfully
What I hate: Clumps easily, thick formula, tricky application

YSL Faux Cils definitely impressed me! I love the dark, dramatic lashes you get from it- like it's name suggests, it gives you faux-like lashes. It's a great nighttime mascara, and I doubt you'll be able to find a more dramatic, long-wearing mascara that photographs so beautifully. It gives you thick lashes, but unfortunately the thickening is a result of a formula that clumps easily and is tricky to apply. Even once I got the technique down, it never looked perfect. The clumping isn't noticeable at a distance, but I don't like being able to see little gobs of mascara on my lashes in the mirror. It helps a little if you use an eyelash comb, but the formula dries quickly and it isn't the easiest task using a comb through them. I just wish Faux Cils replaced it's old-fashioned, fibery wand with a more defining wand like Iconic's. 

The Bottom Line
I'll definitely use Faux Cils as a back-up for Diorshow Iconic, but I won't be repurchasing Faux Cils for my everyday mascara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...