I'm in a rush right now, getting ready for the day. It's Saturday, so I'm spending a little more time primping (something I enjoy and find almost therapeutic)... but then I turned on OWN, and stumbled upon Miss Representation. This documentary hits close to home, as I heat up my $23 eyelash curler with my blowdryer (haha) and think of the next product I'm going to review on my beauty blog.
Beauty is a form of empowerment in the media and in our society, but it also comes at a cost. Beauty is fun for me, and I see it as an art... a means of self-expression. But at the same time, I know that there are some fatal flaws in an industry that is expected to gross $59 billion in 2012. There are side effects to this mentality, some of which I have experienced firsthand (particularly when I was younger). I'm all for doing things to make yourself feel better- inside and out- but there's also a definite pressure to perpetuate a standard I've created for myself.
I know that kindness, strength, love- fundamental, core principles- are what truly matter. Those things will leave a lasting legacy of beauty over glossy lips, great hair, or perfect skin. But at the same time, these are things that I still pursue. There's nothing wrong with that, but I know I won't ever want my future children to feel that they need these to be beautiful. That just being is enough... to love wholeheartedly, to make a difference in the life of another person, to experience pure joy from simplicity. That is is possible to radiate beauty, both inside and out, and kick some major ass.
And maybe, just maybe, I should take a lesson from myself.
And maybe, just maybe, I should take a lesson from myself.
xx
No comments:
Post a Comment