Crazy storms hit downtown Detroit last night while I was at the Tigers game-
I think the orange sky was entirely fitting, despite our loss. ;)
I know I photograph Detroit frequently, but I'm fascinated by the city. So much potential for greatness- the architectural detail amazes me at every corner- and yet it's still in such a state of dilapidation. As a recent Michigan grad, my first thought was immediately leave the state as soon as graduating (as many of my peers do). However, I think there is something to be said about Detroit and the state of Michigan. The automotive industry brought mass population and wealth to the state, but cities like Detroit and Flint are now skeletons of that success. The severe economic repercussions of the industry's decline is incredible. And yet I find these cities so hauntingly beautiful; the combination grandeur, abandonment, and potential is both ironic and intriguing.
There is a new, rarely publicized movement in Detroit, one that I feel in the city's energy whenever I visit. I know that Detroit is in an awful state, but the potential for the city astounds me. Maybe it's the dreamer in me, but I can't help but imagine pretty storefronts and chic restaurants when I drive by all of the empty buildings. "It's there," I think to myself, it just has yet to be uncovered.
Thankfully, a group of young professionals are hopeful to turn the city around, and also see that potential in Detroit. Move Detroit is an organization that is hoping to move 1,111 people into the city by 11-11 of this year. While it's unlikely that I will be one of these young professionals that ends up downtown, I am not completely turned off by the idea. I truly believe that Detroit has the potential for greatness, and has the makings of an interesting, bustling city.
According to a recent New York Times article, "Recent census figures show that Detroit’s overall population shrank by 25 percent in the last 10 years. But another figure tells a different and more intriguing story: During the same time period, downtown Detroit experienced a 59 percent increase in the number of college-educated residents under the age of 35, nearly 30 percent more than two-thirds of the nation’s 51 largest cities."
I am proud to say I am from Michigan. Regardless of where I end up in the coming months, this state will always be home. Detroit and Flint have both experienced great success, as well as significant challenges and losses. I liken these cities to a person: while tough times can be seemingly endless and worrisome, they ultimately make one stronger, with strengthened character and greater beauty. Michigan is a testament to the courses of our lives; the sweetness of success, the tribulations of failure. But most importantly, it stands as hope for the future.
Always hopeful.
xx
Outfit Breakdown: Joie top (Saks), distressed white skinnies (American Eagle), croc-embossed leather "Capri" sandals (J. Crew), goldtone watch (Michael Kors), Damier Neverfull MM bag (Louis Vuitton).




No comments:
Post a Comment