Thursday, August 4, 2011

Look Book: Pre-Fall 2011

While my style is very feminine (my dress collection is expanding at a ridiculous rate), I also really enjoy putting together classic and casual (read: comfortable) ensembles. If I'm not in a dress, I love dressing up the basics (jeans, cotton tees, etc.) with more interesting accent pieces. As shown below, I've done that by mixing classic accessories and costume jewelry with a very laidback pre-fall outfit.


While I'm all about mixing high-end with affordable brands, there are certain pieces that I've personally found worth the investment:

Denim
A great-fitting pair of dark denim jeans are such a staple in a woman's wardrobe, and you will get many wears from them over time. Designer denim can be tricky to get right, so it's particularly important that you know your body before shopping. Do a bit of research online, and learn which brands tend to cater towards your shape. While my upper half is smaller, I have super long legs and a bit of Kardashian Syndrome. William Rast and Citizens of Humanity almost always work for me, but I've rarely found a pair of True Religions that hug my hips just right (they tend to be rigid and cut very straight). Denim shopping is very much like the old Goldilocks story: it may take a few tries, but it's SO worth it to find a pair that fit just right. My perfect pair at the moment: Citizens of Humanity's Avedon skinny jeans (Faith wash).

Shoes and Bags
While I'm not saying that every bag or pair of shoes you own needs to be an investment piece, I find myself amazed at how much use I've gotten out of my higher quality pieces. Obviously, budgets may not always allow you to invest in classic pieces, and thankfully, there are many alternative options available for getting a similar look at a fraction of the cost. However, if you are able to afford a classic piece (i.e., a traditional Chanel tote, Christian Louboutin's classic pumps, etc.), go for styles and colors that will last the test of time. Black, brown, and nude are colors I typically gravitate towards anyway, but they're almost always my choices when I am contemplating pricier bags or shoes. Love how easy it is to spice up the most casual outfits with just the switch of a bag or a pair of killer shoes.
 

xx

Back to Black Breakdown:
Citizens of Humanity's Avedon Skinny Jeans
 Alice and Olivia's Boatneck Slouchy Sweater
James Perse's Long Racerback Tank
Christian Louboutin's Simple 100mm Pumps
Elizabeth and James' Sterling Silver Knuckle Ring
Chanel's Grand Shopping Tote, available exclusively in Chanel boutiques

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...