Friday, June 10, 2011

Frugal Friday

It probably goes without saying that I'm kinddddd of a fan of the finer things in life, but few actually realize how conscious I am about my spending habits. I've found a number of ways to get the things I love for a fraction of the cost. I very rarely pay full price for anything, really. It typically must be something really special for me to be willing to pay retail (Vuitton, anyone?).


Here are a few tricks I've found along the way:

Know your sales and plan accordingly.
  • Victoria's Secret has the Semi-Annual sales in mid-June and in early January.
  • Nordstrom's biggest sale, the Anniversary Sale, is in July. Half-yearlies are in May and November.
  • Saks' Friends & Family Sales (20% off most items, 10% off cosmetics) are typically in April and October.
  • Sephora's Friends & Family Sale (20% off everything) is in late October. 
  • J. Crew always gives you 15% off if you are a college student or teacher (any grade/level). Just show them your student/work ID and give them your school email address when asked. If you're ordering through their website, you can still get the discount; just call their 1800 number.


    Use ebates.com before buying anything online. 
     Google coupon codes and free shipping codes for online retailers.
    • Retailmenot.com is a site I use personally, although there are plenty of comparable sites that list coupon codes.
    • Check the online retailer's website for coupon codes as well. Sometimes they aren't always super noticeable (they do this on purpose), so look carefully.
    • Revolveclothing.com, shopbop.com, and jcrew.com frequently have coupon codes for sales.
    • Sign up for Zappos' VIP program (it's free), and you'll get free overnight shipping on all purchases. LOVE Zappos' service.
    Shop the outlets!
    • Unless it is a limited edition product or something I just have to have at the moment, I refuse to buy MAC or Bobbi Brown cosmetics at full price. I'm lucky to be within driving distance of Company Cosmetics Outlet, which offers significant discounts on Lauder Co. products (MAC, Bobbi Brown, Origins, Estee Lauder, etc.)
    • I rarely buy J. Crew jewlery at the retail prices, opting to purchase at the outlet. Not only are they cheaper at the outlet, the outlet usually has an additional 15-50% off that price as well.
    • A great gift for dads and boyfriends, NEVER pay retail for Ralph Lauren Polo shirts. Macy's and Nordstrom sell them for $75, the outlet sells them for $39 (often less when they have coupons).
    • I rarely buy anything at the Pottery Barn retail store for home goods. I can't tell you how often I've purchased things for 60-90% off retail prices at the outlet. It's a great place for Christmas and birthday gifts as well; throws, wine glasses, picture frames, diffusers, etc.
    • Hautelook.com, ruelala.com, and giltgroup.com are awesome online outlet shops, offering you the phenomenal pricing of outlets without the hassle of the search.
    • Saks' Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus' Last Call, TJ Maxx and Marshall's can produce some amazing finds. Sure, it takes a bit of patience and sifting through racks, but you can truly find some steals amidst the clutter.
     The Perks of the Department Store
    • Obviously you should be kind to sales associates regardless of the benefits, but being friendly has its perks. Associates at department stores (particularly Nordstrom, Neimans', and Saks) can give you the heads up on exclusive sales, trunk shows, and will often call you if particular exclusive items go on sale (Chanel bow bag, anyone?).
    • While I don't recommend that you open store credit cards for the sake of discounts, there are a few out there that are particularly beneficial if you do a bit of (smart) shopping. For example, the Saks Mastercard gives you points for all purchases (extra if they are made in Saks), a $25 Saks gift card when you open the account, and unlimited free shipping on all purchases. Every February, they reward you with a Saks gift card based on the points you accumulated through the year. Not a bad deal if you shop there often and immediately pay off your balance anyway.

    More Bang for Your Beauty
    • I refuse to pay full retail for Crest White Strips- there is ALWAYS a coupon available for them!
    • Latisse is always on some sort of sale. While you can get a coupon for $10 off, they are often on a 'Buy one, get one free' promotion at medical spas. Just ask! There's also a Brilliant Distinctions customer rewards program that will give you additional discounts after you make your purchase.
    • As much as I love my local Sephora, its website can prove more rewarding. Make sure you claim your three free samples and check out the Sales page. They also often offer really great products at promotional pricing on their Weekly Specials page.
    • While I love the convenience of Sephora, I buy my DDF cleanser/toner and Clarisonic refills at skinstore.com because they always have a 20% off (plus free shipping) coupon code available. (Current code: G2G20 as of 6-7-11) 

    3 comments:

    1. ugh not fair, there's always so many coupons and dicount codes for american codes, in europe we have to pay retail prices most of the times, customer service is so much better there!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hmm it ѕeems likе your ѕite ate my
      first commеnt (іt was еxtremеly long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thorοughly enjοying your
      blοg. I too am an aѕρiring blog wrіteг but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for beginner blog writers? I'd
      certainly apρreciate it.

      Here is my webpage puerta a puerta de USA

      ReplyDelete
    3. I don't even understand how I finished up here, but I thought this publish used to be good. I do not recognize who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already. Cheers!

      Also visit my web page :: check This Page - 1kviews

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...